We consider plants as bare accessories in our hectic lives. We embellish our houses, offices,malls and other places using plants. We regard plants as insignificant beings in our lives. In spite of knowing that plants serve a bigger purpose than just ornaments, do we give them the treatment they deserve? Some of us do not even consider plants as living things. For these reasons, it is imperative to deduce the significance of plants in our lives. Imagine a world without plants. Would life even exist there? What would happen to the air uality? The animals? The food supply? It is hard to fathom a world devoid of our beloved green. Let us remind ourselves of the value of plants that we all have learnt in school and left it there.
Due to urbanization, numerous toxic gases are emitted into the atmosphere. However, the presence of green spaces acts as a vacuum cleaner, hence improving the air quality. These green spaces provide us with pure air. If there were no plants, just think of the number of respiratory problems that people would have and the scale of these diseases. Research shows that plants are not only essential for the environment, but also for our general wellbeing. It is said that having an access to woodlands has a considerable number of benefits such as increase in physical health, mental wellbeing and quality of life. There are many other uses of plants that we are well-aware of. They provide a habitat for a wide range of species, improve the quality of soil, absorb CO2 from the atmosphere, therefore reducing climate chang
There are several ways in which we could possibly play our part in saving the planet. There are several ways in which we could bring trivial changes in our lifestyle for the betterment of the world. There are several ways in which we could give just a few moments from our ‘hectic’ lives to protect our ‘natural ventilator’. Here are top 10 ways in which you can be close to nature and help our Mother Earth prosper:
1) Plant trees : Every weekend, go to a nearby garden and plant at least 5 trees. This way, you will be planting almost 260 trees in one year!
2) Use less paper : With technology advancing rapidly, use less paper and persuade your family and friends to do the same, who in turn will carry forward the chain. This way, you are spreading awareness and preventing deforestation.
3) Choose paperless billing. Request your bills and correspondence by email instead.
4) Use an e-reader (Kindle) or tablet. They are great for travelling too! This way, you can have a whole library packaged in just a single gadget!
5) Re-use your gift bags or give your gifts in a reusable bag.
6) Avoid using paper napkins in the public bathroom. Instead, use the hand dryer or let them dry naturally.
7) Never throw away newspapers. Instead send them to a recycling plant. Or, even better read online newspapers!
8) Invest in a travel mug. Some coffee chains even offer a discount for filling up your own cup rather than issuing a paper one.
9) Don’t throw away things just because they have no utility for you. Instead, donate them to a local charity shop. Ever heard the saying – ‘one man’s trash is another man’s treasure’?
10) Lastly, share this knowledge with everyone you know.
just because they have no utility for you. Instead, donate them to a local charity shop. Ever heard the saying – ‘one man’s trash is another man’s treasure’?